Hoover City Schools
Learning for Life
- Hoover City Schools
Hoover High School and Spain Park High School Once Again Among Best in State and Nation
27 April 2021
HCS- Another school year means another set of rankings from the acclaimed media company U.S. News and World Report.
Once again, both Hoover High School and Spain Park High School find themselves among Alabama's and the country's top high schools.
This year, nearly 18,000 public high schools across the country were ranked. That is the highest number of schools ranked, up around 70 from last year.
The rankings take a comprehensive look at the school, taking the following ranking indicators into account:
- College readiness: based on the proportions of 12th-grade students who took and earned a qualifying score on AP and/or IB exams.
- College curriculum breadth: based on proportions of 12th-grade students who took and earned a qualifying score on AP and/or IB exams in multiple content areas.
- Math and reading proficiency: based on student performance on state-required tests.
- Math and reading performance: based on whether performance on state assessments exceeded expectations given the school's proportion of underserved students.
- Underserved student performance: based on how Black, Hispanic and low-income students performed on state assessments compared with those who are not underserved in the state.
- Graduation rate: based on the proportion of students who entered ninth grade in 2015-2016 and graduated four years later.
Of the 17,857 public high schools in the national rankings, Spain Park came in at #837, and Hoover High School came in at #1,506.
Of the 361 schools ranked in Alabama, Spain Park came in at #8 and #4 among Birmingham Metro Area High Schools. Hoover High School came in at #17 in the state and #7 among Birmingham Metro Area High Schools.
To view the complete report on Hoover High School, click here.
To view the complete report on Spain Park High School, click here.