Information for 5th Grade Parents
Parents of current 5th graders: Below is some important information regarding course selection and updated vaccinations for your child.
- Alabama State law requires that all 11 year old 6th grade students have the TDAP vaccine to start 6th grade. Without this vaccination, your child will not be able to complete registration for the 2019-20 school year or start classes on the first day.
- If your child will not turn 11 until after the start of the 2019 school year, then you are fine until they turn 11. At that time, you need to obtain the TDAP vaccine and return the new immunization form to the Bumpus Middle School Nurse.
- If your child turns 11 during the summer, drop the new updated form at Bumpus Middle School before registration.
- Each student registering for Bumpus Middle School for the 2019-20 school year must have a current blue certificate of immunization on file at the time of registration in July. Students with expired immunization status at that time will not be allowed to complete registration or remain enrolled until this is updated. This is mandated by the Alabama Dept. of Public Health.
Near the end of April you will begin the process of choosing your courses for middle school through a Course Selection Sheet from your zoned middle school. Course selection sheets will go home the week of April 29th and are due back by May 7th. You should be aware that there is the opportunity to take Advanced Math in 6th grade. In Hoover we employ a multi-faceted approach to identifying students for this accelerated class, but you are welcome to express your desire to do so when the time comes.
- Sixth Grade Level-best for many of our students. You want a solid math understanding to build upon for higher math education.
- Advanced Sixth Grade Level-best for many of our students. This is a sixth/seventh grade blend of coursework. Your student understands many math concepts beyond grade level.
- Math Team-best for a few eager mathematicians. Students wanting placement in this opportunity must be willing to participate in Saturday tournaments and must meet the following criteria:
- Math Team Placement Test*
- Teacher Recommendation
- Spring Global School Scores
- 5th grade End of Year Math Test