Skip To Main Content


Q: Where can I find information about the YMCA Afterschool Academy?

A: Click the following link: YMCA Afterschool Academy

Q: How do I begin enrollment?

A: Enrollment questions can be found under New to HCS? at the top of the homepage.

Q: Where can I find zoning boundaries?

A: A web-based zoning boundary tool exists for families to discover school zones.  Any questions should be directed to Student Services at 205-439-1016.

Q: Where can I find zoning for apartments/multi-family dwellings?

A: We have an Apartment/Multi-Family Dwelling Guide on our website.

Q: Where can I sign up for Afterschool Academy (YMCA)?

A: Visit our departmental page YMCA Afterschool Academy for more information.

Q: Where is the school year calendar?

A; Click the calendar icon under the slideshow for school year calendars.

Q: Where can I find a listing of schools?

A: A listing of schools is found on this site on top of the homepage.

Q: How do I begin the enrollment process and what I should I expect to do immediately after registering?
A: Complete the online registration form for your student. Please refer to the web-based zoning tool to locate your school zone. You will need to upload all required enrollment documents or bring them to your child's school. Once your registration has been submitted, you will be contacted by the school with the next steps." 

Q: Does HCS have a preschool program?
A: Five of our schools conduct the Alabama First Class Pre-K Program.  Trace Crossings Elementary School and Riverchase Elementary School have a separate Pre-K Program for students with special needs.

Q: I am living with my parents, friend or relative. I do not have a lease or deed in my name. What do I do?
A: You will need to call Damaris Aguirre (Student Services Dept) at 205-439-1016 to set up an appointment to complete the necessary paperwork.

Q: I have a child who will enter kindergarten next school year. When should I plan to register him/her?
A: Kindergarten registration is usually in the spring at all Hoover elementary schools. 

Q: If I move outside of Hoover, can my child remain in Hoover City Schools?
A: No.

Q: My child's primary residence (or physical custody) is with my ex-wife/husband, can I enroll him/her?
A: No, HCS policy limits enrollment to only Hoover residents who have custody of a child.

Q: What is proof of residency?
A: HCS requires either a valid lease or a recorded deed in the enrolling parent's name, along with a current utility bill.

Q: What is the age for a student entering 1st grade?
A: A student must be six years old on or before December 31.

Q: What is the age to enter kindergarten?
A: A student must be five years old on or before September 1.

Q: Where can I find current school zones?
A: School zone boundaries can be found on this web-based zoning site.

Q: I need more FAQs.
A: Try our Deeper FAQs section.