The attendance policies of Hoover City Schools are enforced at Simmons Middle School.
- Students missing nine (9) or more unexcused days per semester are in serious jeopardy of failure.
- Students missing 5 or more unexcused days in a school year shall be referred to the District Attendance Officer.
- Students checking out before 11:45 a.m. and staying out for the remainder of the day will be counted absent for the entire day. A student must be present 51% of the day to be considered a full day.
Within three (3) days of an absence, the students must bring a written note from a parent explaining the reason for the absence, the date of the absence, and the signature of the parent. The absence becomes unexcused if a note is not received by the school within three (3) days. Starting for the 2018-2019 school year, parents are permitted to write 9 days of parent notes for the full school year.
- It is important that students be in school every day. We hope you will plan family trips during school vacations. When a student must be absent because of family obligations, the student must receive prior approval from an administrator a minimum of three days before the absence occurs. Pre-Arranged absence forms can be obtained from the Front Desk Receptionist. Follow the procedures listed under student policies in the Code of Conduct.
Students are expected to be in class at all times. Excused checkouts will be allowed in cases of personal illness or verifiable medical appointments. Other check-outs will be permitted for family emergencies with an administrator’s approval. Any unexcused check-out will omit a student from Perfect Attendance. The following procedures will be followed when a student must leave campus prior to the end of the school day.
- The grade level secretary or nurse will place a call to the parent if a student becomes ill during the school day and will make arrangements for the parent to check the student out early.
- Only parents, guardian or parent designee (people you designated on the Online Registration) may check out students. A picture ID is required.
- Checkouts will be through the Front Desk/Receptionist on the main floor.
- No one under the age of 21 will be allowed to check out a student.
- Students will not be called out of class to check out until the parent/guardian arrives.
Students must be in class at 8:15 a.m. or be counted tardy. Students arriving after 8:15 a.m. must be accompanied by an adult and sign in through the Front Desk/Receptionist (unless student has a Dr.excuse for his/her check-in). Excused check-ins will be allowed in cases of personal illness or verifiable medical appointments. Any unexcused check-in will omit a student from Perfect Attendance. The following procedures will be followed when a student checks in late.
- Students must sign in through the Front Desk/Receptionist.
- Students must obtain a tardy pass from the Front Desk/Receptionist to be admitted to class.
- Students are responsible for making up any class work they miss when checking in late.
- A parent/guardian must sign a child in when he/she arrives late. Parents are encouraged to make medical and dental appointments for students either after school hours or on those days when school is not in session.