SUBSTITUTE TEACHER INFORMATION
If you are interested in applying as a substitute teacher for Hoover City Schools, complete the Alabama Department of Education’s Teach in Alabama website and apply for the Substitute Teacher job posting. Substitute applications will be reviewed periodically based on need. If you are selected, you will be contacted by an HR representative and instructed to complete an HCS Substitute Employment Packet. The following are minimal requirements throughout the application process:
- Alabama State Department of Education online application with three current references
- Valid Alabama professional educator certificate or substitute teacher license
- Copy of driver license and social security card
- A minimum of two years of college coursework
- ABI/FBI background clearance through Gemalto (HR will provide additional instructions on how to complete this task)
- Substitute Teacher Orientation to review the HCS Substitute Teacher Handbook and Frontline Absence Management
- Substitute teachers are expected to work a minimum of 6 days per semester; three out of the 6 workdays should be Fridays
If you do not have a current Alabama teaching certificate or substitute license, you will be required to apply for a substitute license. HCS representatives will help you through this process, which typically takes two to four weeks. The initial cost to become a substitute teacher is approximately $75.00 (these costs are for the Alabama Substitute license and the Background clearance).
If you wish to check the status of your substitute license, go to the ALSDE Public Portal site.
The current substitute teacher pay rate is:
$100/Day - Valid Substitute Teacher's License or Alabama Professional Educator Certificate required
If you have any questions regarding substitute teaching with HCS, please call 205-439-1000 and ask for the HR representative who manages substitute teachers.
SUBSTITUTE NURSE INFORMATION
Applicants interested in applying for a substitute nurse position should email the HCS District Nurse Julie Kent.
Minimal requirements include the following:
- Current Alabama Nursing License
- Copy of driver’s license and social security card
- College transcripts
- Background clearance through Gemalto
- Alabama State Department of Education online application
- Current CPR certification
- Minimum of two years clinical experience; pediatrics preferred
Current Nurse Sub Pay Rate:
LPN $120 a day
RN $200 a day
AM/ PM bus run $40 per run
TRANSPORTATION SUBSTITUTE INFORMATION
If you are interested in becoming a substitute bus driver or bus aide, please contact the HCS Transportation department at 205-439-1120.
Substitute Bus Driver Pay Rate: $90 per day
Substitute Bus Aides: $60 per day