• 1.  Does HCS have a preschool program?
    We do, but it is designed for preschoolers who have special needs.

    2.  Does HCS offer after-school care?
    We have partnered with the YMCA of Greater Birmingham for this service, known as YMCA Afterschool Academy.

    3.  I am living with my parents, friend or relative. I do not have a lease or deed in my name. What do I do?
    You will need to call Lisa Yancey at 205.439.1016 to set up an appointment to complete the necessary paperwork.

    4.  I have a child who will enter kindergarten next school year. When should I plan to register him/her?
    Kindergarten registration is usually around the third week in April at all Hoover elementary schools.

    5.  If I move outside of Hoover, can my child remain in Hoover City Schools?

    6.  My child's primary residence (or physical custody) is with my ex-wife/husband, can I enroll him/her?
    No, HCS policy limits enrollment to only Hoover residents who have custody of a child.

    7.  What is proof of residency?
    HCS requires either a valid lease or a recorded deed in the enrolling parent's name, along with a current utility bill.

    8.  What is the age for a student entering 1st grade?
    A student must be six years old on or before December 31.

    9.  What is the age to enter kindergarten?
    A student must be five years old on or before September 2.

    10. Where can I find current school zones?
    School zone boundaries can be found on this web-based zoning site.