1. Does HCS have a preschool program?
We do, but it is designed for preschoolers who have special needs.
2. Does HCS offer after-school care?
We have partnered with the YMCA of Greater Birmingham for this service, known as YMCA Afterschool Academy.
3. I am living with my parents, friend or relative. I do not have a lease or deed in my name. What do I do?
You will need to call Lisa Yancey at 205.439.1016 to set up an appointment to complete the necessary paperwork.
4. I have a child who will enter kindergarten next school year. When should I plan to register him/her?
Kindergarten registration is usually around the third week in April at all Hoover elementary schools.
5. If I move outside of Hoover, can my child remain in Hoover City Schools?
6. My child's primary residence (or physical custody) is with my ex-wife/husband, can I enroll him/her?
No, HCS policy limits enrollment to only Hoover residents who have custody of a child.
7. What is proof of residency?
HCS requires either a valid lease or a recorded deed in the enrolling parent's name, along with a current utility bill.
8. What is the age for a student entering 1st grade?
A student must be six years old on or before December 31.
9. What is the age to enter kindergarten?
A student must be five years old on or before September 2.
10. Where can I find current school zones?
School zone boundaries can be found on this web-based zoning site.